My concentration is centered on the exploration of polytheistic religions through the manipulation of clay. Historically these religions are based on nature and recurring perceptions of things greater than man that affect all aspects of life. My sculptures reflect this with relevant colors, structures, and symbols found through research that highlights life where Gods are very prominent. Overall this allows me to create tangible three dimensional representations of life.

My pieces demonstrate the exploration of my concentration by alluding to symbols, lore, and inspiration behind polytheistic religion. I started my concentration with simple interpretations based on patterns and specific shapes found in polytheistic religions, image 1 and 2 redefines pagan pentagram [five-pointed star] with unending knots carved onto the surface. The purpose of this piece is to represent a pentagram on most sides. I decided on this form to give the illusion of taking the star by the center point and pulling it off a 2D plane. The color and wax like texture give the star a woodland atmosphere. I moved on to lore in image 10 by manipulating the construction of the piece to force the viewers eyes to move over the entire piece in order to see everything it’s saying. The siren is laying on a treble note that acts as a music sheet and a rock. Finally I created a piece (images 11 and 12) to tell two stories. One; a soldier going to war and praying to Mars; God of War, for success in battle, and Two; his wife praying to Salus; Goddess of family/protection, to protect her husband. Every shape of this piece is dictated to unifying the two stories. The abundance of negative space in this piece also serves to emphasis the size Romans believed the Gods were.